Current:Home > MarketsCalifornia orders Cruise driverless cars off the roads because of safety concerns -Summit Capital Strategies
California orders Cruise driverless cars off the roads because of safety concerns
TradeEdge Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 11:50:53
California has ordered the company Cruise to immediately stop operations of its driverless cars in the state. The Department of Motor Vehicles said on Tuesday that it was issuing the indefinite suspension because of safety issues with the vehicles.
"When there is an unreasonable risk to public safety, the DMV can immediately suspend or revoke permits," the DMV wrote in a statement. "There is no set time for a suspension."
The move comes after one of Cruise's driverless cars struck a pedestrian in downtown San Francisco earlier this month. The incident involved a woman who was first hit by a human driver and then thrown onto the road in front of a Cruise vehicle. The Cruise vehicle braked but then continued to roll over the pedestrian, pulling her forward, then coming to a final stop on top of her.
Rescuers used the jaws of life to remove the vehicle and free the woman. The pedestrian survived but sustained life-threatening injuries.
"Our teams are currently doing an analysis to identify potential enhancements to the AV's response to this kind of extremely rare event," said Navideh Forghani, a Cruise spokesperson.
Forghani said Cruise provided regulators a video of the incident and is complying with the DMV's order and "pausing operations." Those cars that have a human safety driver will be allowed to continue operating in the state.
The DMV originally gave Cruise a permit for 300 driverless vehicles in San Francisco, but it cut that number in half after one of its cars collided with a firetruck in August.
Driverless cars run by Cruise, which is owned by GM, and Waymo, which is owned by Alphabet, have been involved in numerous mishaps in the city over the past several months. They've run red lights, rear-ended a bus and blocked crosswalks and bike paths.
San Francisco's police and fire departments have also said the cars aren't yet ready for public roads. They've tallied more than 55 incidents where self-driving cars have gotten in the way of rescue operations. Those incidents include driving through yellow emergency tape, blocking firehouse driveways, running over fire hoses and refusing to move for first responders.
Despite those incidents, state regulators voted in August to allow self-driving car companies to expand their operations in San Francisco and other California cities. That prompted the city of San Francisco to file motions with the state demanding a halt to that expansion.
"We need actual people behind the wheel with a pulse and a brain that know how to maneuver in sticky situations," San Francisco Supervisor Shamann Walton said at Tuesday rally protesting the driverless cars. "These Cruise vehicles are dangerous on our streets. When they see tragedy or see danger or there's an obstacle in their way, all they know how to do is freeze."
Federal regulators are also looking at the safety of driverless cars. Last week, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration opened an investigation into Cruise citing pedestrian safety concerns.
The crackdown on Cruise comes as GM announced during its earnings call this week that it is intent on expanding its driverless car program in the U.S.
veryGood! (4)
Related
- The FTC says 'gamified' online job scams by WhatsApp and text on the rise. What to know.
- TikToker Nara Smith Gives Birth, Welcomes Baby No. 3 With Husband Lucky Blue Smith
- Deceased humpback whale washes ashore in New Jersey beach town Long Beach Township
- Thursday's NBA schedule to have big impact on playoff seeding
- Civic engagement nonprofits say democracy needs support in between big elections. Do funders agree?
- TikTok’s Conjoined Twins Carmen and Lupita Slam “Disingenuous” Comments About Their Lives
- Dodgers Star Shohei Ohtani's Former Interpreter Facing Fraud Charges After Allegedly Stealing $16 Million
- Will John Legend and Chrissy Teigen Have Another Baby? They Say…
- The city of Chicago is ordered to pay nearly $80M for a police chase that killed a 10
- Here’s how investigators allege Ippei Mizuhara stole $16 million from Shohei Ohtani
Ranking
- 2025 'Doomsday Clock': This is how close we are to self
- Former NBA guard Ben McLemore arrested, faces rape charge
- What American Crime Story: The People v. O.J. Simpson Got Right and Wrong About His Life
- 55 Coast Guard Academy cadets disciplined over homework cheating accusations
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- Paul Mescal, Pedro Pascal go into bloody battle in epic first 'Gladiator 2' footage
- Convicted murderer charged in two new Texas killings offers to return to prison in plea
- $50K Olympic track prize the latest in a long, conflicted relationship between athletes and money
Recommendation
Can Bill Belichick turn North Carolina into a winner? At 72, he's chasing one last high
US airlines ask the Biden administration not to approve additional flights between the US and China
AP Week in Pictures: North America
Washington man pleads guilty to groping woman on San Diego to Seattle flight
The Louvre will be renovated and the 'Mona Lisa' will have her own room
Mama June Shares Why Late Daughter Anna “Chickadee” Cardwell Stopped Cancer Treatments
Hawaii is on the verge of catastrophe, locals say, as water crisis continues
At least 3 dead, 6 missing in explosion at hydroelectric plant in Italy