Current:Home > FinanceDevelopers of stalled Minnesota copper-nickel mine plan studies that may lead to significant changes -Summit Capital Strategies
Developers of stalled Minnesota copper-nickel mine plan studies that may lead to significant changes
PredictIQ View
Date:2025-04-07 07:25:11
MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — The developers of a long-delayed copper-nickel mining project in northeastern Minnesota announced Wednesday that they plan to conduct a series of studies over the next year on potential ways to improve environmental safeguards and make the mine more cost- and energy-efficient, which could lead to significant changes to the design.
The plan is for a $1 billion open-pit mine near Babbitt and processing plant near Hoyt Lakes that would be Minnesota’s first copper-nickel mine and produce minerals necessary for the clean energy economy. It is a 50-50 joint venture between Swiss commodities giant Glencore and Canada-based Teck Resources. The project was renamed NewRange Copper Nickel last year but it is still widely known by its old name, PolyMet. The project has been stalled for several years by court and regulatory setbacks, but company officials say they are still moving ahead with preparations at the site.
“The bottom line is this is all about improving efficiency, looking for ways to improve our carbon footprint, reduce greenhouse gases,” NewRange spokesman Bruce Richardson said in an interview. “If there’s a net environmental benefit, which is one of the end goals here, then it’s pretty hard to criticize.”
But environmental groups that have been fighting the project said the announcement is tantamount to an admission that the current mine plan is fundamentally flawed. They say mining the large untapped reserves of copper, nickel and platinum-group metals under northeastern Minnesota would pose unacceptable environmental risks because of the potential for acid mine drainage from the sulfide-bearing ore.
“PolyMet is rethinking every aspect of their mine plan after the courts have told them they have to do it,” Kathryn Hoffman, CEO of the Minnesota Center for Environmental Advocacy, said in an interview.
The studies in four key areas will look at alternative options for storing mine waste, for water treatment, for speeding up production and for reducing carbon emissions. Any major changes likely would be subject to additional environmental reviews and new permitting processes, which NewRange officials said would include opportunities for public comment and feedback. They stressed that nothing has been decided, and they said that they were announcing the studies in the interests of transparency for stakeholders, communities and tribes.
The current plan is to store the mine waste in the former LTV Steel iron mine tailings basin at the processing plant. Colin March, NewRange’s government and external affairs director, said in an interview that they will study whether a different design for the dam at the upgraded basin, or storing waste in old iron mine pits in the area, might have advantages.
They will also look at whether a conveyor system for transporting ore from the mine pit to the plant might make more environmental sense than the current plan for using diesel-powered trains, March said.
While the company contends the current plan for treating wastewater would meet the state’s stringent standards for protecting wild rice beds downstream, he said they will also study whether it is feasible to improve treatment even further.
And they are going to look at whether it would be advantageous to increase daily production from the currently planned 32,000 tons per day to 40,000 tons and run the mine for around 15 years instead of 20, without raising the total amount mined over its lifetime, March said. The idea would be a more efficient mine, not a bigger mine, he said.
The developers thought they had all the necessary state and federal permits in hand in 2018, but the project remains stalled by a series of court rulings. Its water pollution permit was sent back to the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency for more review. The overall permit to mine got sent back to the state Department of Natural Resources because of concerns about the waste basin design. And the Army Corps of Engineers revoked a wetlands destruction permit, saying it did not comply with the water quality standards set by a downstream tribe, so NewRange will have to apply for a new one to proceed.
“The fact that Minnesota regulators permitted this flawed project and have spent millions of needless dollars defending its misguided decision shows that our regulators have failed the citizens they are charged to protect,” Chris Knopf, executive director of Friends of the Boundary Waters Wilderness. said in a statement.
veryGood! (76)
Related
- Jamie Foxx reps say actor was hit in face by a glass at birthday dinner, needed stitches
- How Larsa Pippen's Dating Life Has Changed Since Second Marcus Jordon Breakup
- Travis Barker's son Landon denies Diddy-themed birthday party: 'A bad situation'
- 3 states renew their effort to reduce access to the abortion drug mifepristone
- As Trump Enters Office, a Ripe Oil and Gas Target Appears: An Alabama National Forest
- We Are Ranking All of Zac Efron's Movies—You Can Bet On Having Feelings About It
- Pollution From World’s Militaries in Spotlight at UN Summit
- AP Week in Pictures: Global
- Nearly 400 USAID contract employees laid off in wake of Trump's 'stop work' order
- See Liam Payne Reunite With Niall Horan in Sweet Photos Days Before His Death
Ranking
- Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
- Virginia men’s basketball coach Tony Bennett is retiring effective immediately
- Average rate on a 30-year mortgage in the US rises to the highest level in 8 weeks
- BOC (Beautiful Ocean Coin) Grand Debut! IEO Launching Soon, A Revolutionary Blockchain Solution for Ocean Conservation
- Selena Gomez's "Weird Uncles" Steve Martin and Martin Short React to Her Engagement
- Arizona prosecutors drop charges against deaf Black man beaten by Phoenix police
- Angel Reese says WNBA salary doesn't even pay rent: 'Living beyond my means!'
- 6-year-old boy accidentally shoots younger brother, killing him; great-grandfather charged
Recommendation
Tree trimmer dead after getting caught in wood chipper at Florida town hall
Nordstrom Rack's Top 100 Fall Deals: Your Guide to Can't-Miss Discounts, Including $11.98 Sweaters
A Data Center Fight Touches on a Big Question: Who Assumes the Financial Risk for the AI Boom?
Sting blends charisma, intellect and sonic sophistication on tour: Concert review
'No Good Deed': Who's the killer in the Netflix comedy? And will there be a Season 2?
NFL Week 7 picks straight up and against spread: Will Chiefs or 49ers win Super Bowl rematch?
Liam Payne Death Investigation: Authorities Reveal What They Found Inside Hotel Room
See JoJo Siwa’s Reaction to Being Accused of Committing Wire Fraud During Prank