Current:Home > MarketsJenna Ortega reveals she was sent 'dirty edited content' of herself as a child: 'Repulsive' -Summit Capital Strategies
Jenna Ortega reveals she was sent 'dirty edited content' of herself as a child: 'Repulsive'
Indexbit View
Date:2025-04-06 19:23:44
Jenna Ortega is speaking out about the rise of explicit AI images.
The "Wednesday" star, 21, revealed in an interview with The New York Times' "The Interview" podcast that she left X, formerly Twitter, after being sent fake pornographic pictures of herself that were created with AI.
"Did I like being 14 and making a Twitter account because I was supposed to and seeing dirty edited content of me as a child?" she said. "No. It's terrifying. It's corrupt. It's wrong. It's disgusting."
The actress, who shared the anecdote after being asked how she feels about AI, continued that she deleted her account due to the influx of "these absurd images and photos" of herself after the release of the Netflix series "Wednesday" in 2022.
"It's just so repulsive, and I already was in a confused state that I just deleted it because it was unnecessary and I didn't need that," she said, adding, "It was just disgusting, and it made me feel bad. It made me feel uncomfortable. It's awful. Anyway, that's why I deleted it, because I couldn't say anything without seeing something like that, and I don't need to be seeing that every day."
Need a break? Play the USA TODAY Daily Crossword Puzzle.
Ortega also told the Times that the first direct message she opened when she was 12 was an "unsolicited photo of a man's genitals," which was "just the beginning of what was to come." The actress no longer has an official account on X, though she is active on Instagram.
How Jenna Ortegamade an iconic 'Addams Family' outsider her own for Netflix's 'Wednesday'
Earlier this year, a series of sexually explicit AI images of Taylor Swift spread on X, sparking widespread outrage. Many of the photos were removed for violating X's policies.
After roles on the Disney Channel series "Stuck in the Middle" and in films like "Scream" and "The Fallout," Ortega achieved greater fame following the release of "Wednesday," which became a massive hit for Netflix in 2022.
She will next star alongside Michael Keaton and Winona Ryder in "Beetlejuice Beetlejuice," the highly anticipated Tim Burton sequel that hits theaters on Sept. 6.
Jenna Ortegaspeaks out on age-gap controversy with Martin Freeman in 'Miller's Girl'
Speaking on the "Interview" podcast, Ortega reflected on the pressures of being famous at such a young age.
"I'm so underdeveloped," she shared. "My prefrontal cortex isn't even fully there yet, technically, you know? I want to be making the mistakes and learning from them and falling on my face, and maybe the opposite: I want to be extremely confident, and try everything, and do everything, and be the biggest risk taker in the world. There's a lot more at stake now, whether I like it or not."
The "Scream VI" star previously opened up about the dark side of social media in an interview as part of Variety's Actors on Actors series in 2023.
"Social media, what it does to anyone our age, it's such a comparing game," she said. "It almost influences bandwagon mentality. … It's very manipulative."
Contributing: Edward Segarra
veryGood! (6764)
Related
- Intellectuals vs. The Internet
- Guard Spencer Dinwiddie to sign with Lakers after clearing waivers
- Man accused of stalking outside Taylor Swift’s Manhattan home to receive psychiatric treatment
- Cowboys Hall of Famer Emmitt Smith growing very tired of former team's struggles
- Krispy Kreme offers a free dozen Grinch green doughnuts: When to get the deal
- The Daily Money: How to file taxes free
- Helicopter crashes in Southern California’s Mojave Desert, six missing
- A Swiftie Super Bowl, a stumbling bank, and other indicators
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
- A search is on for someone who shot a tourist in Times Square and then fired at police
Ranking
- 'Survivor' 47 finale, part one recap: 2 players were sent home. Who's left in the game?
- Helicopter crashes in Southern California’s Mojave Desert, six missing
- Ex-Catholic priest given 22 years in prison for attempting to sexually abuse a boy in South Carolina
- Falcons owner: Bill Belichick didn't ask for full control of team, wasn't offered job
- Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
- An Ohio city settles with a truck driver and a former K-9 officer involved in July attack
- Jon Bon Jovi on singing after vocal cord surgery: 'A joy to get back to work'
- Girlfriend of Illinois shooting suspect pleads not guilty to obstruction
Recommendation
South Korea's acting president moves to reassure allies, calm markets after Yoon impeachment
Pamela Anderson opens up about why she decided to ditch makeup
Arizona governor signs bill giving counties more time to count votes amid concerns over recounts
30-foot decaying gray whale found washed ashore in Huntington Beach, California after storm
Alex Murdaugh’s murder appeal cites biased clerk and prejudicial evidence
Former Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan is running for the US Senate
Breaking Down the British Line of Succession: King Charles III, Prince William and Beyond
Will $36M Florida Lottery Mega Millions prize go unclaimed? The deadline is ticking.