Current:Home > Finance17-Year-Old Boy Charged With Murder of 3 Kids After Stabbing at Taylor Swift-Themed Event in England -Summit Capital Strategies
17-Year-Old Boy Charged With Murder of 3 Kids After Stabbing at Taylor Swift-Themed Event in England
Ethermac View
Date:2025-04-06 11:50:53
A teenage boy has been charged with the murders of three young girls at a Taylor Swift-themed children's dance class in England.
Axel Rudakubana, 17, who faces three counts of murder plus 10 counts of attempted murder and one count of possession of a bladed article after the fatal stabbing of Bebe King, 6, Elsie Dot Stancombe, 7, and Alice Dasilva Aguiar, 9, in Southport July 29, made his first appearance in court Aug. 1.
Authorities had previously kept Rudakubana's name under wraps due to him being underage—he turns 18 Aug. 7—but the judge did not impose any reporting restrictions on his identity, following press inquiries. Merseyside Police said in a statement Aug. 1 that the teen is from Banks, a village in Lancashire, England.
Rudakubana covered his mouth and nose with his gray prison-issued sweatshirt as Judge Andrew Menary entered the courtroom and did not respond, sitting with his head bowed, when asked to confirm his name, the Liverpool Echo reported.
The judge remanded him into custody after the hearing. "You are remanded into youth accommodation detention until proceedings are completed," Menary said, according to the newspaper. "I am not granting you bail today."
A plea and trial preparation hearing has been set for Oct. 25.
Police had arrested Rudakubana the day of the killings at the "Taylor Swift Yoga and Dance Workshop" at Hart Space Studio, in which eight other children and two adults were also found with stab wounds.
“It is understood that the children were attending a Taylor Swift event at a dance school when the offender armed with a knife walked into the premises and started to attack the children inside," Merseyside Police Chief Constable Serena Kennedy said at a July 29 press conference. “We believe that the adults who were injured were bravely trying to protect the children who were being attacked.”
Police are still investigating the tragedy. "This remains very much a live investigation," Kennedy said in an Aug. 1 statement, "and we continue to work with our partners from Lancashire Police and Counter Terrorism Policing North West (CTPNW).
Following the attack, Swift, who is on her Eras World Tour, expressed her condolences to the victims and their loved ones.
"The horror of yesterday’s attach in Southport is washing over me continuously, and I’m just completely in shock,” the singer wrote on her Instagram Story July 30. “The loss of life and innocence, and the horrendous trauma inflicted on everyone who was there, the families, and first responders."
She continued, “These were just little kids at a dance class. I am at a complete loss for how to ever convey my sympathies to these families."
For the latest breaking news updates, click here to download the E! News AppveryGood! (9)
Related
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- How tough is Saints' open coaching job? A closer look at New Orleans' imposing landscape
- Travis Kelce, Kim Kardashian, Justin Bieber and More Stars Who've Met the President Over the Years
- MLB free agent rankings: Soto, Snell lead top 120 players for 2024-2025
- Bill Belichick's salary at North Carolina: School releases football coach's contract details
- Erik Menendez’s Wife Tammi Menendez Shares Plea for His Release After Resentencing Decision
- Are schools closed on Election Day? Here's what to know before polls open
- Jaw-Dropping Amazon Fashion Deals: 3 Long-Sleeve Shirts for $19, Plus Up to 69% Off Fall Styles
- Tree trimmer dead after getting caught in wood chipper at Florida town hall
- Democrat Matt Meyer and Republican Michael Ramone square off in Delaware’s gubernatorial contest
Ranking
- Google unveils a quantum chip. Could it help unlock the universe's deepest secrets?
- Tropical Storm Rafael to become hurricane before landfall in Cuba. Is US at risk?
- 4 Democratic US House members face challengers in Massachusetts
- South Carolina forward Ashlyn Watkins has charges against her dismissed
- New Mexico governor seeks funding to recycle fracking water, expand preschool, treat mental health
- Hogan and Alsobrooks face off in Maryland race that could sway US Senate control
- New Hampshire will decide incumbent’s fate in 1 US House district and fill an open seat in the other
- Republican incumbent Josh Hawley faces Democrat Lucas Kunce for US Senate seat in Missouri
Recommendation
South Korea's acting president moves to reassure allies, calm markets after Yoon impeachment
Georgia Democratic prosecutor pursuing election case against Trump faces Republican challenger
New Hampshire will decide incumbent’s fate in 1 US House district and fill an open seat in the other
Toss-up congressional races in liberal California could determine House control
Could Bill Belichick, Robert Kraft reunite? Maybe in Pro Football Hall of Fame's 2026 class
Jaw-Dropping Amazon Fashion Deals: 3 Long-Sleeve Shirts for $19, Plus Up to 69% Off Fall Styles
Za'Darius Smith trade winners, losers: Lions land Aidan Hutchinson replacement
Ex-Ohio police officer found guilty of murder in 2020 Andre Hill shooting