Current:Home > reviewsNevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -Summit Capital Strategies
Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
SafeX Pro Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 12:00:15
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have again been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (239)
Related
- Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie return for an 'Encore,' reminisce about 'The Simple Life'
- NFL Week 5 bold predictions: Which players, teams will surprise the most?
- Barbie releases new doll for Diwali to 'celebrate the power and beauty of diversity'
- Fact Checking the Pennsylvania Senate Candidates’ Debate Claims on Energy
- Warm inflation data keep S&P 500, Dow, Nasdaq under wraps before Fed meeting next week
- Kirk Cousins stats today: Falcons QB joins exclusive 500-yard passing game list
- Allan Lichtman shares his 2024 presidential election prediction | The Excerpt
- Why Tom Selleck Was Frustrated Amid Blue Bloods Coming to an End
- Trump issues order to ban transgender troops from serving openly in the military
- Eminem's Daughter Hailie Jade Shares Clever Way She Hid Her Pregnancy at Her Wedding
Ranking
- The city of Chicago is ordered to pay nearly $80M for a police chase that killed a 10
- Search for missing 22-year-old Yellowstone employee scaled back to recovery mission
- As affordable housing disappears, states scramble to shore up the losses
- AP News Digest - California
- Paige Bueckers vs. Hannah Hidalgo highlights women's basketball games to watch
- Devils' Jacob Markstrom makes spectacular save to beat Sabres in NHL season opener
- LeQuint Allen scores 4 TDs as Syracuse upsets No. 23 UNLV in overtime
- 'Dream come true:' New Yorker flies over 18 hours just to see Moo Deng in Thailand
Recommendation
Warm inflation data keep S&P 500, Dow, Nasdaq under wraps before Fed meeting next week
WWE Bad Blood 2024 live results: Winners, highlights and analysis of matches
Donald Glover Cancels Childish Gambino Tour Following Hospitalization
What is elderberry good for? Dietitians weigh in.
NFL Week 15 picks straight up and against spread: Bills, Lions put No. 1 seed hopes on line
Georgia businessman convicted of cheating two ex-NBA players of $8M
Lionel Messi, Inter Miami rely on late goal to keep MLS record pursuit alive
Georgia businessman convicted of cheating two ex-NBA players of $8M