Current:Home > ContactQuestions swirl around attempted jailbreak in Congo as families of victims demand accountability -Summit Capital Strategies
Questions swirl around attempted jailbreak in Congo as families of victims demand accountability
Rekubit View
Date:2025-04-06 13:56:11
KINSHASA, Congo (AP) — Families of those killed in what authorities called an attempted jailbreak in Congo’s biggest prison are demanding answers from the government as activists denounce what they say are inhumane conditions in the nation’s overcrowded penitentiaries.
Officials have said that 129 people died, including some who were shot by guards and soldiers, and others who died in a stampede trying to escape the Makala Central Prison in the capital of Kinshasa early on Monday. Justice Minister Constant Mutamba called the attempted jailbreak a “premeditated act of sabotage” and promised a “stern response.”
But rights groups and the opposition called for an independent investigation, accusing the government of using excessive force and covering up the true death toll. One prominent activist said more than 200 were killed.
Everixk Nzeu, a 25-year-old who died in the chaos, was arrested two months ago in the western part of Kinshasa, and transferred to Makal on a provisional arrest warrant, his mother Madeleine Mbalaka told The Associated Press — without trial or conviction.
“I visited my son on Sunday, he was fine,” Mbalaka said. “But around 6 a.m., his roommates called us to tell us he was dead.”
Her son left behind an 8-year-old daughter.
The family has not been able to see his body, she said, adding that they had gone to the morgue but were turned back.
“I ask the Congolese authorities to provide us with explanations because we do not know exactly what happened,” she pleaded. “I ask that justice be done.”
Congolese Interior Minister Jacquemin Shabani said on the social media platform X that a provisional assessment showed that 24 inmates were fatally shot by “warning” shots fired by guards as they tried to escape the facility.
“There are also 59 injured people taken into care by the government, as well as some cases of women raped,” he said, adding that order had been restored at the prison, part of which was burned in the attempted jailbreak.
It wasn’t immediately clear if all 129 fatalities were inmates and officials did not say how the stampede happened. Shabani also did not elaborate on the alleged rape cases at Makal, which has both female and male inmates.
The European Union on Wednesday called on Congolese authorities “to quickly shed light on these tragic events in order to establish the various responsibilities, including with regard to respect for human rights and the rule of law.”
Martin Fayulu, an opposition leader, compared the death toll to “summary executions” and said it was an “unacceptable crime that cannot go unpunished.”
However, Emmanuel Adu Cole, a prominent prison rights activist, told the AP that there were more than 200 dead, many of them shot, citing videos shared from the prison as well as according to inmates he spoke to. The AP was unable to independently verify the videos.
Gunfire inside the prison started around midnight on Sunday and lasted into Monday morning, local residents in the area said.
“Shots were ringing out everywhere,” said Stéphane Matondo, who lives nearby, adding that military vehicles arrived shortly after and the main road to the prison was blocked.
Monday’s tragedy underscored the overcrowding and dire living conditions in Congo’s prisons. Makala, Congo’s largest, with a capacity for 1,500 people, holds over 12,000 inmates, most of whom are awaiting trial, Amnesty International said in its latest country report.
The facility has recorded previous jailbreaks, including in 2017 when members of a religious sect stormed the prison and freed dozens of inmates.
Stanis Bujakera Tshiamala, a prominent Congolese journalist who was recently detained in the prison for months, spoke of its “deplorable and inhumane” conditions and how inmates constantly lack food, water, access to sanitary facilities and medical care.
“Makala prison, seen from the inside, looks more like a concentration camp than a penitentiary,” he told the AP. “The conditions of detention are absolutely deplorable and inhumane. The inmates are treated like sub-humans, deprived of their fundamental rights and subjected to inhuman living conditions.”
Congo’s deputy Justice Minister Samuel Mbemba Kabuya blamed the country’s judicial system for overcrowding in prisons, saying people are quickly jailed at the early stage of their trials. Mutamba, the justice minister, announced a ban on the transfer of inmates from Makala and pledged that authorities will build a new prison, among other efforts to reduce overcrowding.
But these pledges have little meaning for the victims’ families of the victims, who said they were being kept in the dark about the fate of their loved ones.
“It is sad that prisoners die as if they were animals,” said Joyce Imongo, whose 43-year-old brother was among those who died on Monday.
veryGood! (17)
Related
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- Mississippi woman pleads guilty to stealing government funds
- Australia as Bangladesh vow to boost trade as foreign ministers meet in Dhaka
- Israel’s block of AP transmission shows how ambiguity in law could restrict war coverage
- Macy's says employee who allegedly hid $150 million in expenses had no major 'impact'
- NHL conference finals begin: How to watch New York Rangers vs Florida Panthers on Wednesday
- Israel’s block of AP transmission shows how ambiguity in law could restrict war coverage
- Jailed Guatemalan journalist to AP: ‘I can defend myself, because I am innocent’
- 'Most Whopper
- Jailed Guatemalan journalist to AP: ‘I can defend myself, because I am innocent’
Ranking
- Taylor Swift Eras Archive site launches on singer's 35th birthday. What is it?
- When is the 2024 French Open? Everything you need to know about tennis' second major
- Oscar-winning composer of ‘Finding Neverland’ music, Jan A.P. Kaczmarek, dies at age 71
- Takeaways: How Lara Trump is reshaping the Republican Party
- The city of Chicago is ordered to pay nearly $80M for a police chase that killed a 10
- Mauricio Pochettino leaves Chelsea after one year as manager of the Premier League club
- Nestlé to debut Vital Pursuit healthy food brand for Ozempic, Wegovy medication users
- How to download directions on Google Maps, Apple Maps to navigate easily offline
Recommendation
North Carolina trustees approve Bill Belichick’s deal ahead of introductory news conference
'The Voice' finale: Reba McEntire scores victory with soulful powerhouse Asher HaVon
Saudi Arabia’s national carrier orders more than 100 new Airbus jets as it ramps up tourism push
Saudi Arabia’s national carrier orders more than 100 new Airbus jets as it ramps up tourism push
Mets have visions of grandeur, and a dynasty, with Juan Soto as major catalyst
Incognito Market founder arrested at JFK airport, accused of selling $100 million of illegal drugs on the dark web
German author Jenny Erpenbeck wins International Booker Prize for tale of tangled love affair
Judge dismisses felony convictions of 5 retired military officers in US Navy bribery case