Current:Home > ContactChainkeen Exchange-Los Angeles County’s troubled juvenile halls get reprieve, can remain open after improvements -Summit Capital Strategies
Chainkeen Exchange-Los Angeles County’s troubled juvenile halls get reprieve, can remain open after improvements
FinLogic FinLogic Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 11:43:07
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Los Angeles County’s troubled juvenile detention facilities,Chainkeen Exchange on the verge of shutting down over safety issues and other problems, can remain open, state regulators decided Thursday.
The Board of State and Community Corrections voted to lift its “unsuitable” designation for Barry J. Nidorf Juvenile Hall in Sylmar and Central Juvenile Hall in Boyle Heights.
Both facilities could have been forced to shut down April 16 because of failed inspections over the past year.
The state board, which inspects the youth prisons, determined last year that the county had been unable to correct problems including inadequate safety checks, low staffing, use of force and a lack of recreation and exercise.
Board chair Linda Penner said while the county had made some improvements, officials should not consider the outcome of the vote “mission accomplished,” the Southern California News Group reported.
“Your mission now is sustainability and durability. We need continued compliance,” Penner said.
Only six of the 13 board members supported keeping the lockups open. Three voted against it, saying they did not believe Los Angeles County could maintain improvements at the facilities long-term. The other four abstained or recused themselves.
Board members warned the county that if future inspections result in an unsuitable designation, they would not hesitate to close the facilities.
The Los Angeles County Probation Department, which oversees the juvenile halls, said it was stabilizing staffing levels and improving training procedures. Probation Chief Guillermo Viera Rosa said his department acknowledges “the ongoing concerns and acknowledge there’s still much more to be done.”
The Peace and Justice Law Center, which advocates for prison reform, said the juvenile halls need “real fixes, not temporary Band-Aids.” Co-Execuitve Director Sean Garcia-Leys told the news group that the nonprofit plans to conduct a private audit to try to determine “why the board has reversed itself and decided a few weeks of compliance with standards outweigh the years of failure to meet minimum standards.”
The board’s decision comes after California phased out its three remaining state-run youth prisons and shifting the responsibility to counties.
The shift to local control is the final step in a lengthy reform effort driven in part by a class-action lawsuit and incentives for counties to keep youths out of the state system. The state-run system has a troubled history marked by inmate suicides and brawls.
veryGood! (1)
Related
- Can Bill Belichick turn North Carolina into a winner? At 72, he's chasing one last high
- Ex-New York corrections officer gets over 2 years in prison for smuggling contraband into Rikers Island
- With no Powerball available, a Mass. woman played a different game and won $25,000 for life
- Cryptocurrency exchange Binance pleads guilty along with CEO to money laundering charges
- Friday the 13th luck? 13 past Mega Millions jackpot wins in December. See top 10 lottery prizes
- Escaped inmate facing child sex charges in Tennessee captured in Florida
- Pfizer's stock price is at a three-year low. Is it time to buy?
- Bradley Cooper Reacts to Controversy Over Wearing Prosthetic Nose in Maestro
- 'Vanderpump Rules' star DJ James Kennedy arrested on domestic violence charges
- Messi’s Argentina beats Brazil in a World Cup qualifying game delayed by crowd violence
Ranking
- 'Survivor' 47 finale, part one recap: 2 players were sent home. Who's left in the game?
- Atlanta officer used Taser on church deacon after he said he could not breathe, police video shows
- Susan Sarandon, Melissa Barrera dropped from Hollywood companies after comments on Israel-Hamas war
- As Thanksgiving Eve became 'Blackout Wednesday', a spike in DUI crashes followed, NHTSA says
- Trump invites nearly all federal workers to quit now, get paid through September
- OpenAI says ousted CEO Sam Altman to return to company behind ChatGPT
- US prints record amount of $50 bills as Americans began carrying more cash during pandemic
- 25 killed when truck overloaded with food items and people crashes in Nigeria’s north
Recommendation
Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
Shooting of 3 men on Interstate 95 closes northbound lanes in Philly for several hours
Webb telescope captures cluster of baby stars in the center of the Milky Way
Maryland hate crime commission member suspended for anti-Israel social media posts
What to watch: O Jolie night
Biden declares emergency over lead in water in US Virgin Islands
Bethenny Frankel’s Interior Designer Brooke Gomez Found Dead at 49
Photos show a shocked nation mourning President John F. Kennedy after assassination